Navigation Menu

Book Review: Fail by Rick Skwiot

Title: Fail
Author: Rick Skwiot
Year: © 2014
My Rating: ♕♕♕♕♕/5
Pages: 252
Genre: Mystery
Format: Paperback 
Sources: Publishers
Publishers: Blank Slate Press












                                                ♝Fail♝


Exiled to the city's tough North Side, disgraced St. Louis Police Lieutenant Carlo Gabriel wants nothing more than to return to the headquarters hierarchy. To get his wish, all he has to do is track down the missing husband of the mayor's press secretary. Instead he unearths a morass of corruption, educational malpractice, and greed that threatens to consign thousands of at-risk youths to the mean streets of America's erstwhile murder capital. Worse, it's the kind of information that could get a cop killed. Fighting for his life and his honor, Gabriel ultimately must make a choice that could affect not only his own future, but also that of the city and its top leaders.


                   ■My Thoughts■


This is a very dark suspense full book that I greatly enjoyed. The way the story stared out was like a movie. This book is highly imaginative and I could scarcely imagine. It was like T.V. in my mind. This book reminds me of "Criminal Minds". The teacher getting attacked while walking home fits perfectly. The one thing I didn't like was the language this book contained. WARNING THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING.




The plot quickly grabbed my attention because it is a mystery book which I love. Every content this book had, I was on the tip of my toes for. Turning each page I did not know what to expect. My reaction to finishing this book was indeed shocking. I couldn't believe the story after I put the details together. I did not see it coming. Skwiots has a great talent for wring this bad bad book.



Nothing was dull but the one thing that irritated me was the wife. I felt as if she didn't care and was only waiting on his money. A question that really was on my mind was "how can you marry a person that tells you nothing?" I mean she didn't know any of his fiends, people he talked to and etc. The detective was good. The interrogations he had I felt as if they were coming alive in my room.



What else can I say that this was indeed a real mystery.



         ✔Rick Skwiot✔




Rick Skwiot's new urban mystery, "Fail," is being released by Blank Slate Books in fall 2014. Skwiot is the author of three previous novels--the Hemingway First Novel Award winner "Death in Mexico," the Willa Cather Fiction Prize finalist "Sleeping With Panocha Villa," and "Key West Story"--and two memoirs: the critically acclaimed childhood memoir "Christmas at Long Lake," and "San Miguel de Allende, Mexico: Memoir of a Sensual Quest for Spiritual Healing."

2 comments:

  1. Thank you much, Shanae, for the kind and thoughtful review of my novel FAIL. I am glad you enjoyed it and are recommending it. RS

    ReplyDelete