Navigation Menu

Book Review: The Gar Diaries by Louis Bourgeois

Title: The Gar Diaries
Author: Louis Bourgeois
Year: ©2013
My Rating: ♕♕/5
Pages: 283
Genre: Fiction 
Format: Paperback
Sources: Publishers
Publishers: The Other Publishing Company™










        ♜The Gar Diaries♜


Young Lucas grew up as a gar fisherman's son, in the steamy backwater bayous of southeastern Louisiana. His story invites you into a brutal world that is dominated by domestic violence, poverty, and the day-to-day struggle for survival...a struggle that might have left even the strongest of us emotionally scarred and bitter. Lucas reveals the childhood fights, the family traumas, and the fiercely wrought beauty of a visceral existence that feels ill at ease with itself. He gives us an unflinching look at a place and people we need to know. 
 

          ◇My Thoughts◇

Writing Style: The authors writing, wow I couldn't even connect to. The words an content in this book, in my opinion did not fit the description. Nothing made since. I didn't like the writing behind the story-line. The style of which the author put things in are descriptive, but I didn't like it so much.


Captivation: I was captivated until I read deeper into the book. Starting of the book had it's strong point, but seeing where the author took the story, I just wasn't feeling it. The concept. The story telling. The words nothing. This is not my cup of tea and I wished I could enjoyed it. I thought this was the book for me. I felt like I was gonna like it but reality hit and its no that the author did a bad job. He put effort into it, which I clap for, but not enough to make SOME of his readers go "Wow"!!!


Characters: I had no favourite character. All had no spark. It was very dry. Personalities didn't make any since. No connection. I just couldn't connect. There was no feeling or empowerment I liked.


Plot: I didn't like it I couldn't finish the story, no matter how much I tried. It just haunts me on my bookshelf and I don't know if I can get it done. The one thing I liked was the setting "Louisiana ". 


Favourite Line: None.


Final Thoughts: Not the book for me. It wasn't that I hated it, its because the words in the book, made it filthy.

             ⇩Louis Bourgeois⇩


In 1996 , Louis Bourgeois graduated from Louisiana State University with a BA in English. In 2002 he was the first graduate of The University of Mississippi’s MFA program in creative writing. He is co-founder and editor of VOX, an independent experimental literary journal based in Oxford, Mississippi.

0 comments: