Navigation Menu

Book Review: Introducing The Honourable Phryne Fisher by Kerry Greenwood

Title: The Honourable Phryne Fisher
Author: Kerry Greenwood
Year: ©2011
Pages: 489
My Rating: ♔♔♔♔/5
Genre: Mystery
Format: Paperback 
Sources: Publishers
Publishers: Poisoned Pen Press












  ﹏The Honourable Phryne Fisher﹏

Meet Phryne Fisher, the 1920s’ most elegant and irrepressible sleuth, in her first three adventures bound together in one great value volume. This is the perfect way to introduce your friends to your favourite and most stylish sleuth—or to catch up on some of Miss Fisher’s earlier career. Our unflappable, unconventional and uninhibited heroine, The Honourable Phryne Fisher, leaves the tedium of English high society for Melbourne, Australia, and never looks back. In her first three adventures, she encounters communism, cocaine, kidnappers, and murderers. Phryne handles everything—danger, excitement and love—with her inimitable panache and flair, and still finds a little time for discreet dalliances and delicious diversions. This brilliant omnibus volume presents Cocaine Blues, Flying Too High and Murder on the Ballarat Train. 


         ※My Thoughts※


Writing Style: I really liked the writing. I could connect with the words. I was spooked out a bit. I was a little nervous at first about reading the book. I thought I wasn't going to enjoy it, but I am happy that there was a bright side. I love detective works and being able to see myself in the book was breathtaking. I liked the mystery behind the story-line.


Captivation: The story was beautifully done. When I was reading the book at first, I was a bit confused. I didn't really understand the concept. It started out a bit okay, but as I was really understanding the story. It was very captivating I didn't want to put it down. Ms. Kerry is a good writer and kept me on edge. One of the best books I've read in 2014 and this is highly recommend to you mystery lovers.


Plot: Join, Phryne Fisher in the first three books on her adventure. Imagine yourself side by side in London uncovering clues, and solving crime. Come along for the ride you won't be disappointed. Just as I was loving it, the book sadly ended for me which kind of made me tear up. Some parts were a bit repetitive and that confused me because it just kept happening multiple of times. However, I still think its a pretty good series.


Characters: Phryne is my favorite. She is very bold and stands out. Her bad ass personalites makes her stand out and enjoy every minute about her.


Favourite Line: "What was that"? "When he would rear and scream---so that I feared for his knees and even more for my life---I fed him honey-soaked oatmeal and brandy."


Final Thoughts: Mystery books set in London are always thrilling. Touring the UK and finding more about the thrilling mystery that awaits you.


      ♧Kerry Greenwood♧




Kerry Greenwood was born in the Melbourne suburb of Footscray and after wandering far and wide, she returned to live there. She has a degree in English and Law from Melbourne University and was admitted to the legal profession on the 1st April 1982, a day which she finds both soothing and significant.

Kerry has written twenty novels, a number of plays, including The Troubadours with Stephen D'Arcy, is an award-winning children's writer and has edited and contributed to several anthologies. In 1996 she published a book of essays on female murderers called Things She Loves: Why women Kill.


The Phryne Fisher series (pronounced Fry-knee, to rhyme with briny) began in 1989 with Cocaine Blues which was a great success. Kerry has written thirteen books in this series with no sign yet of Miss Fisher hanging up her pearl-handled pistol. Kerry says that as long as people want to read them, she can keep writing them.

0 comments: