Navigation Menu

"Book Review of" A Leg To Stand On by Colleen Haggerty

Title: A Leg To Stand On
Author: Colleen Haggerty
Year: ©2014
My Rating: ⚡⚡⚡/5
Pages: 231
Genre: Memoir
Format: ARC; Paperback
Sources: Booksparks
Publishers: She Writes Press












        ⚡A Leg To Stand On⚡


When Colleen Haggerty lost her leg in an accident during her senior year of high school, she could have retreated from life and let her disability become her defining quality and no one would have blamed her for it. Instead, she went the opposite way. In the years following her accident, Haggerty explored her physical world with vigor, testing the limits of her body by joining a ski team, playing with a co-ed soccer team, and taking up kayaking and backpacking. She also tested the limits of her heart, pursuing love and passion with restless men. In A Leg to Stand On, Haggerty recounts her life as a disabled woman, from redefining herself as a young woman after tragedy fierce and able, but haunted by hard choices and suppressed grief to choosing marriage and motherhood. That choice comes at great cost to the physical freedom Haggerty has fought for, but ultimately she redemption, fulfillment, and self-acceptance in the bargain. No one will read this book without being inspired to accept their past and create the future they always wanted."




          ⭐My Thoughts⭐

Even when you go threw the worst things in life...... you can always go above and beyond.



Writing Style: I liked the writing like but I didn't love it so much. I did connect with the author but not on the highest level which would be a 10.


Captivation: This is a good story. I have been reading memoirs lately and I just love it. I didn't know what struggles people go threw and now I can tell and imagine how they feel. To read them opening up telling us readers what happen to them deserves so much recognition because not all of us can do that.


Plot: The plot was very understandable. I couldn't understand ever bit of feeling, that was presented in the book because I cannot sit here and lie that I understand your stuggle. Everyone goes threw something different but don't say I understand when you don't. Not once was I confused or didn't take interest in what was going on. I felt it all and it made me sad but made me realise some things in life we take for granted and if we put ourselves in someone else's shoes how would we feel?


Meaning: This story really touched a dear part in my life. To fell what the author want threw was completely heartbreaking. I teared up because I imagined myself as her. Its sad to think that your life is over and what can I do now. I tell you if you feel this way. Live your life to the fullest. Don't let anything like that stop you. Be thankful for what is to come and not what you miss. Everyday there is a new adventure don't you ever let anything get in your way because life is way to short.


Final Thoughts: I could connected to the authors struggle. I know someone who has lost there leg at such a young age. I also know someone who was suppose to get there leg amputated but died of a heart attack. Its scary not knowing what the next day awaits us. How will we survive? Will I be even stronger? How will I manage? The impossible thing is to always have faith because we never know how our life will get better.

                         

         ✌Colleen Haggerty✌

Colleen Haggerty is an amputee, but she doesn't identify herself by her disability. She worked for nearly twenty years in the non-profit world trying to change the world, but doesn't define herself by that, either. She is a survivor of breast cancer, but loathes the pink ribbon. The role of her lifetime is that of being a mother. Now that she can hang her hat on. Haggerty is an inspiring public speaker who was thrilled to speak at her local TEDx event in 2013. She finds great joy in writing personal essay and memoir and has contributed to the anthologies The Spirit of a Woman, He Said What? (penned as Colleen Robinson), Dancing at the Shame Prom, and Beyond Belief. She lives with her husband and their two teenagers in Bellingham, WA.

0 comments: