Navigation Menu

Book Tour: The Body Tourist by Dana Lise Shaven

Title: The Body Tourist 
Author: Dana Lise Shaven
Year: © 2014
Pages: 340
My Ratings:♕♕♕♕♕/5
Genre: Memior
Format: Paperback
Sources: Booksparks
Publishers: Little Feather Books















        ♞The Body Tourist♞


In this moving and funny memoir that spans the six years following the author's purported recovery from anorexia, Dana Lise Shavin offers a candid and ultimately optimistic window into the mindset and machinations of a mental illness whose tentacles reached deep into her life, long after she was considered "cured." In 1981, Shavin graduated from college with a BA in Psychology. It had been a difficult venture that included an expulsion, a four-month institutionalization, and a multitude of transfers. By the time it was over, she was convinced she was cured, and that it was time to start curing others. "I’m ready," she told her parents, her therapist, and friends—all of whom shook their heads in horror at her 95-pound, 5’9” frame. Undaunted, she landed a job as a counselor in a halfway house for drug and alcohol addicts. If anyone knew what it took to become a happy, functioning adult, Shavin was convinced she was the one. As anyone would suspect, the burden of self-contempt, faulty logic, and interpersonal turmoil that are the character traits of depressive disorders and addictions do not miraculously disappear once medication and therapy have taken effect. Where, then, do these dangerous obsessions, such as the wish for obliteration (which often co-exists with the wish for immortality), go once a person sets foot on the road to recovery?




            ◆My Thoughts◆


Writing Style: The, writing style was good. I liked how she pored her hear out getting into descriptive details about whats going on in her life and the struggles she faced.


Plot: In this funny heartwarming memoir Ms. Dana opens up about her struggles with anorexia. She explains how and what the struggle was about having this illness. Getting into this book it not what I expected. I could relate to what the author was going threw. Growing up at as a kid, I was also skinny as well. I didn't gain a lot of weight. I felt ashamed because kids would pick on me, but that didn't stop me. I embraced who I was and didn't stop fighting. I teared up  because I felt sorry for the author. Its because she is very brave to open up and tell the world what she has been through and how she overcame that. In my book I call that a BOSS!!!!


Captivation: I was very much captivated to hear how in depth she went with her story. Millions of people around the world have anorexia, and to hear there stories could dearly help benefit someone. They can (hear/see) I'm not alone. Someone else out there has this illness, but didn't lit that inter fear with who they are. We all are humans and have feelings, sharing what you went threw can deeply change how a person looks at the situation and can reflect on the message it sends. Keep on writing Ms. Dana. Don't let anyone stop you.


Favourite Line: "Theres much to be done for the woman on the inside, and I approach the prospect reverence and bravo".


Final Thoughts: You are never alone. Always keep your head held high.



     
  ﹏Dana Lise Shavin﹏




0 comments: